Follow iwantapounddog on Twitter

I don't usually post dogs I've never met before but I'm making an exception for Moogly because I've got a soft spot for Great Danes and also because I know Michelle from IFAW and trust her judgment.

She just returned from a dog rescue mission to bring back dogs from some northern Quebec communities and came across this emaciated Great Dane who had been living outdoors for two years now. Anyone who knows Great Danes knows they aren't made to be outdoors dogs, especially not outdoors in northern Quebec winters, and I'm surprised Moogly had managed to survive this long. Given how thin he's looking now, I doubt he would've been able to survive another cold season. The thought of a Great Dane out in the frozen night is not something I want to imagine, knowing how much Stella (my own previous Great Dane) shivered and needed layers of blankets in the winter even when she was indoors.

From Michelle:

His name is Moogly, and we’ve been trying to get him out for a while. He is from Mistissini, and when I was here in April he’s one of the ones we spotted and photographed. He was thin, thin, thin and people we spoke to said he was owned but that his people were not caring for him and that he just roamed the community. We spent the better part of a day looking for his owners, but never found them. Months later he was given to Manon, our rescue partner in Chapais and she rehomed him. The new home did not work out because they didn’t care for him properly either. So, here we are, finally getting him and looking to place him in a super duper home. He is a big Dane, but sweet and friendly and great with other dogs. His photo, taken in the community in April, is attached. He is, sadly, just as thin now.





Thankfully, the IFAW crew were able to bring Moogly out of the cold and into a foster home. He's now available for adoption and a lot closer to Toronto.

This is what his foster has to say about Moogly:

Michelle forwarded your email re the big, cuddly Moogly. He's here, he's eating tons, lounging in front of the fire, putting his head on counter tops and settling. He is super in the house, less so outside. Because he will take off and never come back (zero recall) and he can pull an adult off their feet (as he did me), I'm looking for an experienced Dane home. He's looking for a big couch and a yard where he can zoom around. He really wants to run and I hope to take him to our horse paddock this weekend so he can bolt about as he wants to.

I need to find him the best, most committed home because not only has his life not included that so far but it's also taken place in a totally Dane unfriendly [environment].


And here's a photo of Moogly in his foster home:

If you're interested in adopting Moogli or would like more information about him, please contact Jan at jhannah@ifaw.org .



3 Comments to “Moogly - Great Dane”

  1. Anonymous says:

    what a gorgeous dog! And I love the name Moogly. Sounds as if his foster home is wonderful. But let's hope he can find a Dane experienced forever home with a garden to run in and someone to show him he is worthy of love after being alone and hungry for far too long

  2. Anonymous says:

    I wish there was something I could do. I've fostered 27 Danes in the past 2 yrs and now own 2 of my own. I would love to take this guy as well, but just don't have the time to work with him and my neighbors will lose their minds if I get another one. Odie my 185 lb male wants to eat their entire family as it is, add another one to the mix and I'll be in it for sure!!

  3. Anonymous says:

    love the above comments! still laughing about Odie and the neighbors. My dear friend shared this link on Moogly as she knows me too well. she said he has my name written all over him :) I sent a long winded email this morning in the hopes that this beautiful boy will b mine. ever since (many years ago) my beautiful Shaka passed away, I have dreamed of one day having another Dane. I have waited a long time for the right time & place. Oddly Moogly looks much like Shaka did. Here's hoping I get the chance to give this beautiful boy the love and care and happy life he so deserves.

Leave a Reply



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request

The reason for this blog is to help get specific dogs adopted from TAS but equally important is to try to normalize the idea of shelter dogs being just as good and just as desirable as any other dogs including those which are regularly merchandised by backyard breeders, puppy millers and those few remaining pet store owners who still feel a need to sell live animals. The single greatest stigma shelter animals still face is the belief that shelter animals are substandard animals. Anyone who has had enough experience with shelter animals knows this is untrue but the general public hasn't had the same experiences you've had. They see a nice dog photo in a glossy magazine and too many of them would never think of associating that dog with a dog from a shelter. After all, no one abandons perfectly good dogs, right? Unfortunately, as we all know, perfectly good dogs are abandoned all the time.

The public still too often associates shelter dogs with images of beat up, sick, dirty, severely traumatized animals and while we definitely sometimes see victims such as these, they are certainly not the majority and, regardless, even the most abused animals can very often be saved and made whole again.

Pound Dogs sometimes discusses the sad histories some of the dogs have suffered. For the most part, though, it tries to present the dogs not as victims but as great potential family members. The goal is to raise the profiles of animals in adoption centers so that a potential pet owner sees them as the best choice, not just as the charity choice.

So, here's the favour I'm asking. Whenever you see a dog picture on these pages you think is decent enough, I'd like you to consider sharing it on Facebook or any other social media sites you're using (I know many of you do this already and thank you for that). And when you share it, please mention that the dog in the photo is a shelter dog like so many other shelter dogs waiting for a home. If we can get even five percent of the pet buying public to see shelter dogs differently, to see how beautiful they are and how wonderful they are, and to consider shelter dogs as their first choice for a new family member, we can end the suffering of homeless pets in this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------